Located deep in the tranquil taiga forests of Finland’s eastern Saariselkä fells and Urho Kekkonen National Park, Muotka Wilderness Lodge is a magnificent place for a winter break whether you stay for 3 or up to 7 nights. The picturesque surroundings provide the backdrop for a range of activities including snowmobiling, husky sledding and snowshoeing. Enjoy evenings spent beside a roaring log fire before seeking out the magical northern lights in the skies overhead.
- Look for the northern lights from your wilderness location
- Go snowmobiling, cross-country skiing and drive a team of huskies (included)
- Relax by the log fire or in a traditional Finnish sauna after a day in the snow
- Choice of durations on full board basis
- Direct flight to Finnish Lapland
- Christmas and New Year availability
Set within the vast fell area of Saariselka, 300km north of the Arctic Circle, Muotka Wilderness Lodge is just a 35-minute transfer from Ivalo airport. Purpose built, the location of the lodge was carefully chosen for the beauty of the surrounding taiga forest, as well as the proximity to the river and the winter ski trails.
Well away from artificial light, Muotka is ideally located for viewing the northern lights and offers a genuine winter experience. With a whole host of activities included in the different duration packages, you have the chance to enjoy the thrill of snowmobiling, meet the local reindeer herders and try reindeer sledging, or mush a team of huskies through the snowy forest. You can also try your hand at snow shoeing or cross country skiing and join a hunt for the northern lights.
Evenings can be spent in the cosy lodge where a crackling fire and Finnish sauna allow visitors the chance to relax. The more adventurous may even choose to take a winter plunge in the nearby river!
Itinerary & Accommodation
- All Inclusive Itineraries
- All of our all-inclusive packages include return transfers from/to Ivalo airport; full board starting with dinner on the first day to breakfast on the departure day; accommodation in your chosen room type, winter activities as detailed below and winter clothing for the duration of your stay.
- Winter Activities included
The following activities are included in the different packages.
Aurora Adventure Break - 3 night itinerary
Aurora Camp; Snowmobile Safari to Reindeer farm; Aurora Hunt; Husky Safari; Northern Lights Snowshoeing.
Highlights of Lapland - 4 night itinerary
Snowmobile Safari to Reindeer farm; Aurora Hunt; Husky Safari; Snowshoeing; Cross Country Skiing in Taiga Forest.
Arctic Experience - 7 night itinerary
Snowmobile Safari to Reindeer farm; Aurora Hunt; Husky Safari; Snowmobiling in the Fells; Snowshoe trip; Cross Country Skiing in Taiga Forest.
Note the order of these activities will be confirmed locally and each activity will be included once during your stay.
- Activity Information
Snowmobile Safari to a Reindeer Farm (approx. 4-5 hours) - snowmobile to a reindeer farm where you will meet the local Sami and learn about reindeer husbandry. Learn how to lasso a reindeer before a short sleigh ride. Snowmobiling distance around 30 km.
Aurora Hunt (approx. 2.5 hours) - after the dinner head out up to the fells in search of the northern lights by a snowmobile pulled sledge.
Husky Safari (approx. 4 hours) - visit a husky farm where you will meet huskies before a 2.5 hour husky sledging journey. You will be given full instruction on how to handle the sledge before heading onto the trail with 2 people sharing and taking turns driving. Lunch by an open fire will be served on the trail.
Snowmobiling in the Fells (approx. 4 hours) - take a thrilling snowmobile safari in the surroundings of Muotka Wilderness Lodge. Drive through forests and up to the fells. Driving distance is approximately 40-50 km with two people sharing a snowmobile and taking turns driving. Enjoy a picnic lunch by an open fire on the trail.
Snowshoeing trip (approx. 3-4 hours) enjoy a snowshoe walk in the beautiful surroundings of Muotka. Picnic snacks and warm drinks will be provided during the trip. once you have mastered the skill you will have the use of the equipment for the rest of your stay.
Northern Lights Snowshoeing (approx. 3 hours) - after dinner it is time to go out on a search of the Northern Lights. Depending on the weather conditions the guide will transport you either on a snowmobile sledge or by car to the fell.
Skiing tour to Taiga forest (approx. 2-3 hours) start with a cross country skiing lesson before venturing out on a ski tour through the taiga forest. Picnic snacks and warm drinks will be provided. Once again, you will have use of the equipment during your stay.
- All activities begin with a safety briefing and instruction from the experienced guides. Thermal overall, mittens, balaclava, woollen socks and winter boots are provided as well as a helmet for the snowmobile safaris. Children 4-14 years will be in a sleigh pulled by guide with snowmobile or on the guide’s sledge whilst husky sledging.
- Snowmobiles are covered for third party insurance only and should you have an accident and there is damage to the snowmobile, you will be charged an excess - currently €800 (Euro). All drivers must have a valid driving licence and may be required show it before the excursion.
- The weather in Finland can cause serious delays which can result in the need to re-arrange or extend your holiday itinerary. Whilst we and our contacts in Finland will do everything possible to minimise any disruption, it is important that you check the details of your travel insurance and allow for some flexibility in your plans.
Accommodation OptionsMuotka Lodge has a good choice of accommodation options available. With twin or double bedded hotel rooms, apartments, Riverside room or studio with private sauna, Aurora Cabins complete with north facing window and private sauna, Log Cabins and Superior rooms with sauna - it has a great selection for couples, families or friends alike.
Prices & Dates
Per adult price from
|Wilderness room (twin/double share)||£1,321||£1,428||£1,891|
|Superior room with sauna (twin/double share)||£1,458||£1,598||£2,189|
|Log Cabin (twin/double share)||£1,543||£1,683||£2,278|
|Aurora Cabin (twin/double share)||£1,628||£1,768||£2,665|
Price includes: return flights, either direct from London Gatwick to Ivalo (Thursday and Sunday only) or from London Heathrow via Helsinki to Ivalo; airport charges; accommodation in rooms with private facilities (as above based on full board); activities as detailed in the itinerary; winter clothing and return transfers.
Price excludes: meals/snacks other than stated; drinks; personal expenses.
Above prices are based on low season (07 - 21 January 2018 and 20 March - 16 April 2018). Other periods including Christmas, New Year and February half term are available at a supplement. Prices for single rooms and child prices are available on request. Please speak to one of our Sales team for a quote on your specific requirements.
Please refer to our Christmas and New Year packages online for further details if travelling during the festive season.
- On Christmas Eve you can help with the search for a perfect Christmas tree, while children make decorations and assist with gingerbread baking. Santa will visit after a traditional Finnish Christmas dinner and every child gets a small present.
- On New Year’s Eve enjoy a special meal before venturing outside to toast the New Year with sparkling wine, bonfire and fireworks.
The prices above are based on direct flights from London Gatwick to Ivalo with Finnair (Sundays and Thursdays only). These flights operate between 14th December 2017 and and 22nd March 2018. Flights are also available on alternative days via Helsinki with Norwegian Air to London Gatwick and with Finnair from/to London Heathrow. It is possible to overnight in Helsinki and spend time to explore the Finnish Capital city before continuing the journey.
Direct flight departs Gatwick at 08.25, arriving Ivalo 13.55 - Sunday
Direct flight departs Ivalo at 06.00, arriving Gatwick 07.40 - Sunday
Direct flight departs Gatwick at 09.30, arriving Ivalo 15.00 - Thursday
Direct flight departs Ivalo at 07.00, arriving Gatwick 08.40 - Thursday
Please note flights from Helsinki to Ivalo are very limited and popular, especially during the festive season and February half term. We highly recommend that you book early to avoid disappointment. Over the festive period and half term we have a limited number of seats available on set dates and durations. Please refer to the separate Christmas and New Year packages online or ask our Sales team to check availability for you.
All prices are subject to availability.
How to book
So that we may send you a personalised quote and confirmation of availability, please click on the link below and complete our Enquiry form. One of our Travel Specialists will then be in touch to complete your booking or answer any further questions you might have.
We will always offer the best price available at the time of booking and guarantee no surcharges - see our 100% Guarantee for full details.
Speak to a specialist: 1-844-584-0668Book this trip
Our team of Travel Specialists have extensive first-hand knowledge of our destinations and are passionate about travel.