The sparkling ice-bound landscapes of East Greenland are the setting for an exhilarating spring holiday. During your stay in this truly beautiful place, you'll explore the frozen wilderness by husky sledge and visit a traditional Greenlandic community, learning about a way of life that is unique to the Arctic region. With a night spent in Reykjavik either side of your stay in Greenland, you will also get to experience the contrasting environment of Iceland's lively capital city and if you wish, you can extend your stay in Iceland to take in more of what this magical country has to offer.
Who for? A thrilling and unforgettable adventure for the more active traveller.
In the remote village of Kulusuk, husky teams are still a vital part of the daily routine, used both as a means of transport and for hunting expeditions. The Tasiilaq area has a considerably milder climate than the other dog sledging regions in Greenland and therefore also a richer snow cover across its magnificent landscape.
- the amazing experience of husky sledding across spectacular snowy scenery
- meet intelligent and noisy huskies truly in their element
- take in the picturesque brightly painted homes of Kulusuk
- enjoy the clear and crisp spring weather with its long hours of daylight
- there's still a chance to observe the magical northern lights
- thrilling helicopter transfer from Kulusuk to Tasiilaq
Each sledge has its own driver and team of eight to twelve huskies, who must train together for over a year. You'll pick up some of the secrets of 'mushing' from him as you glide silently over the ice and snow. The load on the sledge depends on snow and ice conditions but is generally two or three passengers. No special skills are needed to take part, but a reasonable level of fitness is a must if you are to enjoy this trip to the full.
One introductory husky sledge ride and one full day on the sledges are included - further optional excursions can be taken at additional cost, payable locally.
The itinerary shown here is for a total of 7 nights, however longer and shorter itineraries may be possible, please contact our team of travel specialist to discuss your options.
Itinerary & Accommodation
- Day 1: Keflavik - Reykjavik
- Fly from the UK to Keflavik, transfer to Reykjavik for an overnight stay.
- Day 2: Reykjavik - Kulusuk
- Fly from Reykjavik City Airport over the pack ice to Greenland and check in at Hotel Kulusuk for 3 nights. After lunch, have a briefing, meet the huskies and set off on your first sledge trip along the shoreline.
- Day 3: Kulusuk
- A day of dog sledging across frozen ice floes to the Apusiaajik Glacier, stopping for a picnic lunch. Cross the frozen Ammassalik Fjord with spectacular mountain views and a possible stop for some ice fishing on the return journey to the hotel.
- Day 4: Kulusuk
- Choice of optional activities.
- Day 5: Kulusuk - Tasiilaq
- Take a thrilling helicopter ride from Kulusuk to Tasiilaq and transfer to Hotel Ammassalik for a 2-night stay. Rest of the day at leisure.
- Day 6: at leisure
- Tasiilaq choice of optional activities.
- Day 7: Taqiilaq - Reykjavik
- Return to Kulusuk by helicopter then it's onwards by plane to Reykjavik for an overnight stay.
- Day 8: Reykjavik - Keflavik
- Transfer to Keflavik Airport for the flight home.
Note the meal basis is full board whilst in Greenland (usually a buffet style 2 course set menu) and breakfast only when in Iceland.
The weather in Greenland can cause serious delays which can result in the need to re-arrange or extend your holiday itinerary. Whilst we and our contacts in Iceland and Greenland will do everything possible to minimise any disruption, it is important that you check the details of your travel insurance and allow for some flexibility in your plans.
- Grade: Standard
- Type: Hotel
Renowned for its spectacular views over the ice-filled f…
Prices & Dates
Summer 2018 prices coming soon
Fridays between March 24th and April 21st 2017
March 24th departure
Twin prices from £2,148 per person
Single prices from £2,390 per person
All April departures
Twin prices from £2,183 per person
Single prices from £2,457 per person
Prices Include accommodation on a bed and breakfast basis in Reykjavik for a total of 2 nights and transfers to/from Keflavik International Airport; flights between Reykjavik and Kulusuk; transfers between accommodation and airports in Greenland; helicopter transfers between Kulusuk and Tasiilaq; accommodation on full board basis in Greenland (all meals while in Greenland are buffet style, but can often have limited choice. Dinner is 2 courses - either starter and main, or main and desert. The combination is at the chef's discretion); sightseeing and husky tours as described; protective outer clothing for husky sledge trips; airport taxes; Northern Lights Bradt Guide (Included for departures 1 Sep-15 Apr).
Prices exclude return flights between UK and Iceland; taxi transfers between Reykjavik accommodation and Reykjavik City Airport.
Note the weather in Greenland can cause serious delays which can result in the need to re-arrange or extend your holiday itinerary. Whilst we and our contacts in Iceland and Greenland will do everything possible to minimise any disruption, it is important that you check the details of your travel insurance and allow for some flexibility in your plans.
AIRFARES - ask for a personalised quote
To ensure you receive the best possible airfare at the time of booking, please contact us for a flight quotation based on your preferred UK departure airport and travel dates.
• You can now fly to Iceland from many different airports located across the UK on Icelandair, WOW Air, Easyjet and Flybe. As a guideline, airfares start from around £212 per person, return (including tax), with WOW Air from London Gatwick. Flight prices from other airports, on alternative airlines, may be considerably lower or higher and all prices are likely to increase during peak periods. Please note that Discover the World will never charge you more for a particular routing than the lowest rate available at the time of booking, with any of the airlines we use. Often, particularly during peak periods, you will even find that we offer a better rate than the airline itself! In addition when you book flights through us, you will receive all the advantages that come through booking a packaged holiday with an ATOL protected tour operator plus our unique industry leading 100% guarantee. Please check our booking conditions for details.
• For starting prices and flight schedules from your nearest airport please visit the following link. View schedule
Note if you would still prefer to book your own flights, we will be happy to make all your ground arrangements in Iceland.
How to book
So that we may send you a personalised quote and confirmation of availability, please click on the link below and complete our Enquiry form. One of our Travel Specialists will then be in touch to complete your booking or answer any further questions you might have.
We will always offer the best price available at the time of booking and guarantee no surcharges - see our 100% Guarantee for full details.
Speak to a specialist: 1-844-584-0668Book this trip
Our team of Travel Specialists have extensive first-hand knowledge of our destinations and are passionate about travel.