The ultimate self-drive travel companion, iDiscover is our unique and innovative personalised iPad guide to Iceland. All of our clients travelling to Iceland on a self-drive holiday collect one with their rental car keys. Preloaded with your itinerary, iDiscover is fully interactive, allowing you to embellish your holiday as you go along – making your free-spirited exploration of Iceland hassle-free and fun.
You can browse extensive and continually updated directories to help you explore off the beaten track, pick a local walk or find the nearest petrol station. The iPad platform is intuitive and easy to use – three decades worth of our knowledge and experience of Iceland is literally just a tap away.
Developed in partnership with our Icelandic guides and suppliers, this exclusive travel companion also features a host of useful apps, such as a currency converter, translator and live weather updates. There is even a section for younger travellers with fun and educational games.
We created iDiscover in 2013, but we are always adding new and increasingly sophisticated functions and interactivity, while maintaining its ease of use: Key features include:
- A fully interactive holiday planner allowing you to adapt your daily itinerary by adding places to visit and optional activities, as well as calculating point-to-point distances and average journey times
- In-depth travel directory, packed with ideas for places to visit, natural wonders, hot pools etc
- Extensive insider tips from local experts, including top restaurants and authentic experiences
- Map view of daily route as well as point-to-point maps for easy guidance
- Hikes & Walks section featuring 40 different trails – with more being added all the time
- Comprehensive image gallery
- Access to maps, even when offline
- Locate the nearest petrol stations
- Keep up to date with weather and aurora forecasts, volcanic activity and road conditions
- Translate Icelandic menus and look up handy words and phrases
- Inspire children with the Mission:Explore app featuring geography-based fun for five- to 12-year-olds
- iDiscover includes WiFi and up to 3G connectivity
- The iPad Air comes with a sturdy, waterproof LifeProof® case
iDiscover is hosted on an iPad Air, which is loaned to you when you collect your hire car in Iceland. At the end of your holiday, simply return the iPad, case and charger to the rental office with your car keys.
Having iDiscover greatly enhanced the enjoyment of our trip - as well as having routes and suggestions for places of interest, the 3G gave us access to the internet and the excellent Iceland Met Office website.
Laurence and Linda Perry, Iceland Connoisseur
Why do I need iDiscover?
How does iDiscover work?
- A personal online travel companion Your personal itinerary is pre-loaded into the iDiscover interactive Travel Planner showing your day-by-day route together with all your accommodation and any pre-booked excursions (your itinerary will also be available in PDF format should you prefer a more conventional view). Using the interactive functionality you can then adapt your daily route by adding optional places to visit, including famous landmarks and hidden gems as well as suggested hiking routes. Distances from point-to-point and average journey times will be automatically calculated and you can change the order of added items to create your preferred route, which will be displayed on the daily map view.
- In-depth travel directory You will have access to an extensive database with a plethora of places to visit that aren't always found in guidebooks, together with unique insights researched and written by our Iceland experts, in conjunction with local Icelanders. These can be filtered by region or category (such as Hikes & Walks, Hot Pools and Natural Wonders) and viewed in list form or map view. You can even use the image gallery to make your selection.
- Map views allow easy navigation at each stage of your itinerary, as well as the ability to view your daily journey, even when offline.
- Useful information You can easily keep abreast of local weather and aurora forecasts, as well as any volcanic activity, road closures and conditions, and have access to currency converter and translator tools. You can also locate petrol stations on the map view.
- Quick Links iDiscover provides easy access to a wealth of reference material including travel tips, driving information, regional tourist board links and film locations.
- A children's travel resource We've teamed up with Mission:Explore, to bring alive the unique geography and culture of this fascinating island for children (7-12) with a range of missions to test their creativity, curiosity and exploration skills. You'll also receive a printed children's map of Iceland.
- Stay connected You can keep in touch with home from the remotest of spots, thanks to 3G and Wifi. And, for your convenience and peace of mind, the iPad Air comes complete with an exceptionally strong and waterproof LifeProof® case.
Sample iDiscover itineraries
The Small Print
- iDiscover is available for all of our pre-planned itineraries*. If you book a tailor made holiday it may not be possible to provide such detailed information although you will still have access to most of the iDiscover functions including maps, apps, website links and push alerts.
- The iDiscover iPads will come with cellular usage and you are more than welcome to utilise the iPad for personal correspondence or internet browsing, however we do operate a fair usage data policy to prevent the downloading of movies and other data heavy applications – details will be provided when you collect your iPad.