Price Promise: on like-for-like holidays, we guarantee we won't be beaten on price!
Lace up your boots for one of the world’s classic long-distance hikes. This five-day, small-group guided trek tackles the incredible Laugavegur trail – a 55km journey from the hot springs of Landmannalaugar to the verdant glacial valley of Thorsmork, passing colourful mountain slopes, glaciers, lakes and rivers along the way.
- Explore a truly remote area accessible only on foot
- Experience the spectacular wilderness of the Highlands
- Hike with a small group, led by an expert guide
- Discover the legendary Thorsmork valley
- See the colourful rhyolite mountains of Landmannalaugar
- Book this tour by 26 Feb 2018 and you'll be entered into a competition to WIN a free day trip to Greenland.
What makes this trek so special?
A small-group walking holiday, striding out with like-minded travellers on a world-class hike in the company of an expert guide... our Laugavegur Highland Trek provides an amazing opportunity to explore the rugged Highlands of the interior. As well as enjoying stupendous views, you will gain a fascinating insight into local culture and geology. For keen photographers, it’s a must.
Putting the Laugavegur on the map
Linking Landmannalaugar with the 'hidden' valley of Thorsmork, the 55km Laugavegur is one of the most popular walking trails in Iceland. Part of Fjallabak Nature Reserve, the rhyolite mountains of Landmannalaugar are richly coloured with yellows, reds and greys. Black lava flows and sapphire-blue lakes add extra splashes to the surreal palette of this otherworldly place where hot springs and freshwater streams have created some fabulous geothermal bathing pools. At the southern end of the Laugavegur trail, Thorsmork is a verdant realm of wooded valleys and dramatic ridges, surrounded on three sides by glaciers.
On the trail
On this four -day trek you will experience all kinds of terrain, from good paths and green valley pastures to rocky scree, volcanic sand and windswept ridges. You might encounter the odd patch of snow and there will also be river crossings. Each day’s walk lasts from 4-7 hours, with no more than 600m of ascent on any day. The trail is suitable for any regular walker with a reasonable level of fitness. Your food and equipment will be transferred by support vehicle, allowing you to walk with just a lightweight daysack. Nights are spent in simple but cosy mountain huts where group participation will be needed for cooking etc.
Itinerary & Accommodation
- Day 1: Arrive in Iceland
- Fly from the UK to Keflavik and transfer by bus to your hotel in Reykjavik for an overnight stay.
- Day 2: Reykjavík to Landmannalaugar, hike to Hrafntinnusker
- Take an early morning bus to Landmannalaugar, passing Hekla and other volcanoes in the Domadalur area. After lunch, set off on the trail, heading south into the mountains past gorges, hot springs and colourful mountain ridges. Overnight at Hrafntinnusker mountain hut. Distance: 12km Walking time: 4-5hrs Ascent: 470m
- Day 3: Hrafntinnusker to Alftavatn
- Walk through the gullies of Jokultungur with their steaming hot springs and bubbling mud pools. There are wonderful views south towards Swan Lake and the Myrdalsjokull and Eyjafjallajokull glaciers. Overnight at Álftavatn hut. Distance: 12km Walking time: 4-5 hrs Descent: 490m
- Day 4: Alftavatn to Emstrur
A day of striking contrasts, the trail weaves among green, moss-clad mountains rising from the black desert of Maelifellssandur. The trail then leads towards another ancient volcano, Hattfell, and the Emstrur region – once used as a summer sheep pasture. Venture into the Markarfljot canyon, before heading to Botnar hut for the night.
Distance: 16km | Walking time: 6-7hrs | Descent: 40m
- Day 5: Emstrur to Thorsmork
- Continue weaving through the small valleys of Emstrur, close to the Myrdalsjokull icecap. Towards the end of the day, the vegetation starts to become denser as you descend into Thorsmork (Woods of Thor) with its valleys filled with birch woodland and flowers. Overnight at Thorsmork. Distance: 17km Walking time: 6-7hrs Descent: 300m
- Day 6: Thorsmork to Reykjavík
- Spend the morning in Thorsmork exploring one or two of the numerous paths. Options include the Songhellir cave and the climb up Valahnukur for panoramic views. Later, take the afternoon bus to Reykjavík for an overnight stay at your hotel.
- Day 7: Return to UK
- Transfer by bus from your hotel in Reykjavik to Keflavik International Airport for your flight back to the UK.
- All huts are heated, some have electricity and some have hot water. Accommodation is in bunk rooms with single and twin beds.
- Weather in Iceland can be unpredictable and therefore can cause substantial delays which can result in the need to re-arrange or extend your holiday itinerary. Whilst we and our contacts in Iceland will do everything possible to minimise any disruption, it is important that you check the details of your travel insurance and allow for some flexibility in your plans.
Prices & Dates
Airfares start from around £100 per person and are quoted separately to the holiday price.
When enquiring, our Travel Specialists will provide the best fare possible from your preferred airline / airport.
These are starting prices in £ per person.
- 17, 21, 24, 28 June
- 01, 05, 08, 12, 15, 19, 22, 29 July
- 02, 05, 12, 16, 19, 23, 26, 30 August
- 02, 09 September
Price includes airport transfers between Keflavik Airport and your Reykjavik hotel, accommodation on a bed and breakfast basis in Reykjavik for 1 night before and after the trek, mountain hut accommodation on full board basis for 5 days/4 nights (except breakfast on day one and dinner on the last day of the trek); bus transportation as per itinerary, jeep transfer for food and equipment between campsites, sleeping bag & cooking gear.
Prices exclude flights, any optional excursions.
Dietary requirements can be catered for from £45 per person for the length of the tour and must be pre booked.
Group size max 16
Important note this tour operates on minimum numbers. Please see our booking conditions for more details. The tours will run with a minimum 6 persons / maximum 16 persons.
How to book
So that we may send you a personalised quote and confirmation of availability, please click on the link below and complete our Enquiry form. One of our Travel Specialists will then be in touch to complete your booking or answer any further questions you might have.
We will always offer the best price available at the time of booking and guarantee no surcharges - see our 100% Guarantee for full details.
Speak to a specialist: 1-844-584-0668Book this trip
Our team of Travel Specialists have extensive first-hand knowledge of our destinations and are passionate about travel.