Price Promise: on like-for-like holidays, we guarantee we won't be beaten on price!
This fabulous winter break is the perfect way to spend a few days exploring some of Iceland's most exciting destinations – from the Golden Circle to Langjokull icecap. Joining a small-group, expert-guided tour, you will stay in a beautiful, contemporary hotel, enjoying delicious food and superb aurora viewing opportunities.
- Search for the northern lights in the dark night skies of Borgarfjordur
- Enjoy two nights at stylish Hotel Husafell with its fine dining and aurora wake-up call
- Explore inside the Langjokull icecap on the amazing Into the Glacier tour
- Take an expert-guided tour of the natural wonders of the Golden Circle
- Visit beautiful Hraunfossar waterfall and Europe’s most powerful hot springs
- Spend a night in Reykjavik with time for sightseeing
- Enjoy a relaxing soak in the Blue Lagoon (optional)
Prime spot for aurora hunting
Travelling with your group to Borgarfjordur, a peaceful corner of West Iceland about a 2 hour drive from Reykjavik, your first two nights on this short break are at Hotel Husafell. Sleek and stylish, with breathtaking views, the 48-room bolthole is far from any artificial light pollution which could spoil your chances of witnessing the northern lights. The surrounding mountains help to create cloud-free skies – another boon for aurora hunters. Add to this an aurora wake-up service and a stunning restaurant with floor-to-ceiling windows and you have the perfect set-up for an unforgettable northern lights experience.
Glacier & Golden Circle
Although it's impossible to predict when an aurora may appear, there are plenty of other natural wonders on this tour. Iceland’s second largest icecap, Langjokull looms above Borgarfjordur and you will be joining an incredible excursion 'Into the Glacier'. It starts with an epic drive onto the icecap’s vast frozen expanse in an 8WD snow truck. You're then guided on foot through a 500m-long tunnel carved in the brilliant blue ice. There’s nothing like this trip anywhere else in the world!
Your expert local guide will also take you on a tour of Iceland’s fabled Golden Circle – a riveting day trip to three of the country’s most famous sites. During winter, twin-tiered Gullfoss is often encrusted with intricate ice formations, adding a touch of Narnia to one of Europe’s most beautiful waterfalls. At Geysir, you’ll witness Strokkur shoot scalding water over 20m into the air, while at Thingvellir National Park you can visit the site of Iceland’s ancient parliament and walk the rift between the Eurasian and North American plates.
Local highlights & capital attractions
Must-sees in the Husafell region include Hraunfossar – an extraordinary waterfall that appears as if by magic from beneath a moss-covered lava field. Another cascade, Barnafoss, can be found nearby, as well as Europe’s most powerful hot spring, Deildartunguhver.
Rounding off this holiday, you have a night in Iceland’s capital. Browse the boutique shops, climb the cathedral tower, visit a museum and enjoy Reykjavik’s buzzing café culture and superb restaurants. It’s a lively and vibrant contrast to the previous two days in rural Iceland. There’s also an option to visit the Blue Lagoon – and a spot of geothermal pampering before your flight home.
Itinerary & Accommodation
- Day 1: UK - Iceland
- Upon arrival at Keflavik airport, meet your guide before travelling by private coach to the tiny hamlet of Husafell. The 2½-hour drive skirts Reykjavik, then heads north beneath Mt Esja, crossing Hvalfjordur in a sea tunnel before reaching Borgarfjordur. Spend the following two nights at Hotel Husafell on a half board basis, enjoying its smart contemporary interior and delicious three-course set dinner menus. After checking in make your way to the bar for your complimentary welcome drink. In the evening, take advantage of the hotel’s rural location to try your luck at viewing the northern lights.
- Day 2: Husafell & Into the Glacier
Spend the morning on a guided tour exploring the highlights around Husafell. Spanning a 900m stretch of the River Hvita, the delicate Hraunfossar waterfall flows from beneath an ancient lava flow, marbling the basalt with a lace-like pattern of rivulets. A stone’s throw upstream is Barnafoss (Waterfall of Children). You will also visit Deildartunguhver, Iceland’s most powerful hot spring, which releases 180 litres of scalding water every second.
In the afternoon, join an unforgettable ice cave adventure deep into the Langjokull icecap. Travelling in an 8WD snow truck (converted from a NATO missile launcher) you will scale the 1,450m-high icecap before setting off on foot inside the glacier. Following a 500m-long man-made tunnel, your guide will reveal fascinating insights into this surreal, frozen world, including crevasses and evidence of past volcanic eruptions ‘recorded’ in the blue ice. Later, return to Hotel Husafell, enjoy dinner and your second overnight stay. Keep watch for the northern lights or ask reception for an aurora wake-up call.
- Day 3: The Golden Circle
Set off after breakfast on a full-day, guided tour of the Golden Circle. Tracing a loop between three of Iceland’s most famous natural wonders, you will visit Thingvellir National Park, where you can walk the rift between the Eurasian and North American tectonic plates, the twin-tiered waterfall of Gullfoss and the spouting Strokkur geyser, steaming vents and bubbling pools at the iconic geothermal site of Geysir.
This evening, head to Reykjavik where you will bid farewell to your guide and enjoying the evening at leisure. There are numerous excellent places to choose for dinner tonight (payable locally), offering everything from sushi and fish and chips to gourmet burgers and haute cuisine. Overnight in Reykjavik.
- Day 4: Reykjavik & the Blue Lagoon
- Spend the morning exploring Reykjavik’s museums or delving into the designer shops and cafés along famous Laugavegur street. Take in city sites like the striking cathedral with its imposing statue of Viking Leifur Eiriksson – the first European to discover America – or visit the Blue Lagoon for a rejuvenating soak in the warm, milky-blue geothermal waters (optional, but must be pre-booked). Transfer to Keflavik International Airport for your return flight to the UK.
Prices & Dates
Airfares start from around £100 per person and are quoted separately to the holiday price.
When enquiring, our Travel Specialists will provide the best fare possible from your preferred airline / airport.
Departure Dates Winter 2018 - 2019
- All departure dates are based on flights arriving at Keflavik airport around 15.30.
- All departures are a 3 night duration
- These are starting prices in £ per person based on two sharing rooms with private facilities, unless otherwise stated.
|Departure Date||Two Sharing||Single||Availability||Guaranteed Departure||Hotel|
|16 Nov 2018||£1,055||£1,324||Available||No||Husafell/Centrum|
|07 Feb 2019||£1,055||£1,324||Available||No||Husafell/Centrum|
|21 Feb 2019||£1,055||£1,324||Available||No||Husafell/Centrum|
|21 Mar 2019||£1,055||£1,324||Available||No||Husafell/Centrum|
Prices include Airport transfers; 2 nights accommodation in rooms with private facilities on half board basis in a standard room at Hotel Husafell, (dinner is a 3-course set menu and arrangements are usually made for participants to dine as a group) and 1 night accommodation at Hotel Reykjavik Centrum on a breakfast basis; services of a driver/guide, excursions as detailed in the itineraries and a Northern Lights Bradt Guide.
Prices exclude flights, optional excursions, beverages, personal expenses, travel insurance.
Important note this tour operates on minimum numbers. Please refer to our booking conditions for more details.
Maximum group size - 29 people.
How to book
So that we may send you a personalised quote and confirmation of availability, please click on the link below and complete our Enquiry form. One of our Travel Specialists will then be in touch to complete your booking or answer any further questions you might have.
We will always offer the best price available at the time of booking and guarantee no surcharges - see our 100% Guarantee for full details.
Speak to a specialist: 1-844-584-0668Book this trip
Our team of Travel Specialists have extensive first-hand knowledge of our destinations and are passionate about travel.