Price Promise: on like-for-like holidays, we guarantee we won't be beaten on price!
Tucked into a beautiful valley, 90 minutes drive north of Reykjavik and close to one of Iceland's majestic icecaps, Hotel Husafell makes an irresistible bolthole for this winter self-drive holiday. The secluded rural setting is perfect for northern lights hunting. You can also join an exciting Ice Cave tour, visit the intriguing Hraunfossar (or lava falls), go whale watching and relax in an outdoor geothermal pool.
- Includes Special offer at Hotel Husafell (3 nights for the price of 2)
- Search for the aurora in the dark night skies of Borgarfjordur
- Visit the amazing Ice Cave, on Langjokull icecap (additional cost)
- Marvel at waterfalls like Hraunfossar
- Tour the iconic sites of the Golden Circle
- Explore the Snaefellsnes Peninsula with optional whale watching
- Relax in the new Krauma geothermal nature baths
- Use of exclusive digital travel guide, iDiscover
- Accommodation in rooms with private facilities
Northern lights watching at Hotel Husafell
This 4-night winter break includes three nights at Hotel Husafell. A rural retreat in West Iceland's Borgarfjordur, this stylish 48-room hotel is not only ideally located for exploring the Langjokull icecap, but it's also in a prime spot for northern lights watching – far from artificial light pollution.
Ice Cave tour to Langjokull
Iceland’s second largest glacier, Langjokull looms above Borgarfjordur and we can arrange for you to experience this incredible frozen wilderness – from the inside! Available as an optional excursion, your 'Into the Glacier' adventure begins with a snow truck ride across Langjokull. You are then guided on foot into the heart of an icecap glacier, following tunnels carved through brilliant blue ice. It's a unique experience, full of great photo opportunities and a chance to learn more about the 'cooler side' of the Land of Ice and Fire.
Waterfalls and geothermal springs
One of Iceland’s most unusual waterfalls is found near Husafell in Borgarfjordur. Emerging from beneath a lava field, Hraunfossar is a series of cascades pouring over ledges into the Hvita river, creating a striking marbled effect against the basalt rock. Another waterfall, Barnafoss, can be found a short distance upstream. On this holiday, you will also get an opportunity to see iconic waterfalls like Gullfoss on the Golden Circle. Geothermal waters are another highlight. Fed by a natural hot spring, Krauma is a new hotspot in Borgarfjordur, offering hot tubs and aromatic steam baths, while the Secret Lagoon or Fontana Spa can be included in your day touring the Golden Circle.
Snaefellsnes Peninsula and the Golden Circle
Hotel Husafell is within easy striking distance of West Iceland’s spectacular Snaefellsnes Peninsula. We can arrange for you to join a whale watching boat trip in search of orca, or you can spend time touring the dramatic coastline of this volcano-studded finger of land. Heading back south on day four, you have an opportunity to visit Thingvellir, Geysir and Gullfoss – the Golden Circle’s triple whammy of natural wonders.
Contact our Iceland experts now
iDiscover digital guide
If you book any self drive in Iceland with us you will also get free use of our exclusive digital travel guide, iDiscover. Your personalised itinerary will be pre-loaded onto an iPad air which you will get with your hire car and includes all the information you need for your trip.
This itinerary includes time at Hotel Husafell, renowned for it's contemporary style.
Itinerary & Accommodation
- Day 1: arrive in Iceland
- Upon arrival at Keflavik airport, collect your rental car and iDiscover (your personalised iPad-based digital travel companion) before making your way to Hotel Husafell. The 2½ hr drive will take you past Reykjavik, before heading north through spectacular mountain scenery and the tunnel under Whale Fjord to reach Borgarfjordur. Check into Hotel Husafell for your three-night stay. In the evening, enjoy a dip in the local geothermal baths and keep watch for the northern lights.
- Day 2: explore the Husafell area
- Must-see sites close to Hotel Husafell include the waterfalls of Hraunfossar and Barnafossar, as well as Europe’s most powerful hot spring Deildartunguhver. You can also join an optional tour to the Vidgelmir lava tube cave. Overnight at Hotel Husafell and, with luck, another chance to glimpse the elusive aurora borealis.
- Day 3: Langjokull icecap or Snaefellsnes Peninsula
Choose between a day exploring the Langjokull icecap on an optional Into the Glacier tour (approximately four hours) or drive west to the Snaefellsnes Peninsula for independent touring and an optional whale watching boat trip.
Following the Into The Glacier tour, during which you will explore tunnels carved in the ancient blue ice of the glacier, visit Krauma, the new geothermal baths fed by the Deildartunguhver hot spring.
If you choose instead to visit the Snaefellsness Peninsula, allow two hours to drive from Hotel Husafell to Grundarfjordur, the departure point for whale watching boat trips and the location of the beautiful pyramid-shaped peak Kirkjufell. Overnight at Hotel Husafell.
- Day 4: Golden Circle
- Check out from Hotel Husafell before returning south towards Reykjavik. Spend the day exploring the Golden Circle, perhaps including some chill-out time at the Secret Lagoon or Laugarvatn Fontana Spa. Overnight at Frost & Fire in Hveragerdi, a small town built around a hot spring field about 45km east of Reykjavik.
- Day 5: depart Iceland
- Check out and drive to Keflavik airport for your flight home. If you have an afternoon departure, detour to Reykjavik to browse the city’s museums, galleries and shops, or explore the volcanic landscapes of the Reykjanes Peninsula.
Accommodation OptionsThis itinerary is based on the hotels shown below in rooms with private facilities. We offer a wide range of accommodation from farms to self catering cottages, budget hotels to luxury properties, ask our Iceland experts for recommendations.
Prices & Dates
Airfares start from around £100 per person and are quoted separately to the holiday price. When enquiring, our Travel Specialists are able to provide the best fare possible from your preferred airline / airport.
These are starting prices in £ per person based on 2 people sharing a room with private facilities, unless otherwise stated.
October 17 - April 18
|Full Price (pp)||3 for 2 Offer Price (pp)|
|D - Skoda Octavia (4WD)||£579||£479|
|H - Kia Sorrento||£649||£549|
|I - Mitsubshi Pajero||£689||£589|
October 18 - April 19
|Full Price (pp)||3 for 2 Offer Price (pp)|
|D - Skoda Octavia (4WD)||£642||£523|
|H - Kia Sorrento||£712||£593|
|I - Mitsubshi Pajero||£752||£633|
Prices include accommodation in rooms with private facilities on a breakfast basis based on 2 people sharing; car rental for the agreed period on an unlimited mileage basis (includes semi-comprehensive insurance and no charge for additional driver); use of iDiscover iPad for the duration of the holiday with free WiFi.
Prices excludes Flights, travel insurance, fuel, personal expenses, tips and gratuities
How to book
So that we may send you a personalised quote and confirmation of availability, please click on the link below and complete our Enquiry form. One of our Travel Specialists will then be in touch to complete your booking or answer any further questions you might have.
We will always offer the best price available at the time of booking and guarantee no surcharges - see our 100% Guarantee for full details.
Speak to a specialist: 1-844-584-0668Book this trip
Our team of Travel Specialists have extensive first-hand knowledge of our destinations and are passionate about travel.