Price Promise: on like-for-like holidays, we guarantee we won't be beaten on price!
Celebrate New Year in style on this fantastic short break combining fireworks and a festive gala with aurora hunting and natural wonders galore in Iceland’s beautiful southwest. This escorted holiday gives you a choice of two great countryside hotels, ideally located for northern lights watching, as well as expert-led tours of the South Coast and Golden Circle.
- Combine a stay in the Icelandic countryside with time in Reykjavik
- Boost your chances of seeing the aurora borealis by staying in a rural hotel
- Enjoy an amazing view of the city fireworks
- Explore the South Coast and Golden Circle on expert-guided tours
- Start the New Year with a long soak in the Blue Lagoon (optional)
Best chance to see the northern lights
Although sightings of the aurora can never be guaranteed, this holiday includes two nights in a countryside hotel, far from artificial light pollution. Options include Hotel Ranga with its aurora wake-up service, outdoor hot tubs and stargazing observatory or Hotel Litli Geysir, conveniently located close to the famous natural feature by the same name. See Itinerary and Accommodation for more details.
Explore Iceland’s natural wonders
Aurora hunting by night, waterfall chasing by day... the guided tours on this escorted holiday will take you to some of Iceland’s most beautiful cascades. Seljalandsfoss and Skogafoss are stars of the South Coast where you will also skirt the volcano of Eyjafjallajokull and visit Vik with its black-sand beaches and dramatic sea stacks. Exploring the Golden Circle, you will feel the thunder of Gullfoss waterfall, as well as witness the explosive power of the Strokkur geyser and walk through a rift between the North American and Eurasian continental plates. After all that fresh air, you’ll spend your evenings indulging in fine dining and relaxing in your hotel’s outdoor hot tubs.
Ring in the New Year in Reykjavik
Peruse the shops, cafes, art galleries and museums of stylish Reykjavik as you build up to the New Year celebrations. On New Year's Eve, enjoy a festive gala witha 4 course dinner at Grand Hotel Reykjavik and enjoy the city’s magnificent fireworks display. On New Year’s Day, explore more of the sights of Reykjavik or treat yourself to a relaxing dip in the soothing, silica-rich waters of the Blue Lagoon – an unforgettable way to welcome the New Year! Please note: entrance to the Blue Lagoon is at an additional cost and pre-booking is essential.
Itinerary & Accommodation
- Day 1: arrive in Iceland
- Meet your guide and the rest of the group in arrivals at Keflavik Airport, then transfer to Hotel Ranga or Hotel Litli Geysir for a two-night stay on a half board basis (breakfast and a 3 course set menu dinner - chef's choice). Arrangements are usually made for participants to dine as a group.
- Day 2: South Coast and waterfalls
- Enjoy scenic touring of Iceland's south coast; including the stunning waterfalls of Seljalandsfoss and Skogafoss. Reach the small town of Vik, with its photogenic sea stack rock formations and the intriguing beach-edge basalt columns.
- Day 3: Golden Circle and Reykjavik (New Years Eve)
- Spend the day exploring the famed Golden Circle route including Thingvellir National Park, where you can walk the rift in between the Eurasian and North American tectonic plates, the spectacular two-tiered waterfall of Gullfoss and the spouting geysers of Geysir geothermal area. Arrive in Reykjavik and say your goodbyes to your guide in the afternoon, leaving some time to dress up before heading to the Grand Hotel Reykjavik for an evening of festivities. Start the evening with a welcome drink, before your delicious 4 course dinner. Then set out by coach to Kopavogur and witness one of the largest bonfires in Iceland. Then it’s back to the hotel for dessert and just before midnight with a glass of bubbly in hand, watch as Reykjavik's skyline lights up as we welcome the New Year! There are no restrictions on the use of fireworks in Iceland, and this annual tradition means that displays are truly spectacular as locals welcome 2019 in style!
- Day 4: at leisure (New Year's Day)
- Enjoy a day exploring Reykjavik independently or alternatively, you may wish to book an additional excursion or head to the world famous Blue Lagoon (entrance at additional cost – pre-booking is essential) for a relaxing bathe in the silica-rich waters, the best way to start the New Year! Please contact us in advance to arrange this.
- Day 5: depart Iceland
- Transfer to Keflavik Airport for the flight back to home.
- Please be aware that New Year is a time for family celebrations in Iceland, therefore a limited number of restaurants/cafes and other attractions will be open on 31 December and 1 January.
- The weather in Iceland can be unpredictable and therefore can cause substantial delays which can result in the need to re-arrange or extend your holiday itinerary. Whilst we and our contacts in Iceland will do everything possible to minimise any disruption, it is important that you check the details of your travel insurance and allow for some flexibility in your plans.
Accommodation OptionsYour holiday will commence in Iceland's beautiful southern countryside at either Hotel Ranga or Hotel Geysir. Away from light pollution and with wide open vistas, at each hotel you'll be ideally located to view the northern lights should they occur. At Hotel Ranga you can enjoy optimum night sky viewing in the new roll-off roof observatory which houses computerised telescopes. At each of the hotels shown below, accommodation is in rooms with private facilities.
Hotel Ranga, near Hella
- Grade: Deluxe
- Type: Hotel
Overlooking the East Ranga River and offering superbly u…
Hotel Litli Geysir
- Grade: Standard
- Type: Hotel
A modern building that houses 22 private, en suite rooms…
- Grade: Superior
- Type: Hotel
Fosshotel Reykjavik is a modern and stylish hotel in Rey…
Alda Hotel Reykjavik
- Grade: Superior
- Type: Hotel
In the heart of Reykjavik, Alda Hotel offers stylish roo…
Prices & Dates
Prices are in £ per person based on rooms with private facilities, unless otherwise stated.
|Departing 29 Dec 2018||Two sharing||Single|
|Hotel Ranga and Alda Hotel or Fosshotel Reykjavik
|Litli Geysir and Hotel Klettur||£1,390||£1,643|
Prices include airport transfers; 2 nights accommodation on a half board basis in a room with private facilities at Hotel Ranga or Litli Geysir (dinner is a 3 course set menu); 2 nights accommodation on a breakfast basis in a standard twin/double room with private facilities in Reykjavik; New Year's Eve Gala dinner; services of a driver/guide, excursions as detailed in the itinerary.
Prices exclude any excursions as suggested in the travel itinerary, travel insurance, personal expenses, tips and gratuities.
- This tour operates on minimum numbers. Please see our booking conditions for more details.
This tour operates on minimum numbers. Please see our booking conditions for more details.
Maximum group size is 29 people.
How to book
So that we may send you a personalised quote and confirmation of availability, please click on the link below and complete our Enquiry form. One of our Travel Specialists will then be in touch to complete your booking or answer any further questions you might have.
We will always offer the best price available at the time of booking and guarantee no surcharges - see our 100% Guarantee for full details.
Speak to a specialist: 1-844-584-0668Book this trip
Our team of Travel Specialists have extensive first-hand knowledge of our destinations and are passionate about travel.