Top 10 Aurora Experiences
Author of Northern Lights Travel Guide, Will Gray is, in his own words, a fanatical follower of protons! Here, he highlights his most memorable experiences in his quest to see the aurora...
Northern lights in the Arctic, Will Gray
1. Enjoy delicious local seafood at Iceland's Hotel Ranga before soaking in an outdoor hot tub under the northern lights.
We recommend: Aurora Nights Fly Drive »
2. Cruise along the Norwegian coast on a Hurtigruten steamer, watching the aurora dancing above a wild and wonderful landscape of mountains and islands.
We recommend: In Pursuit of the Aurora »
3. Ride a snowmobile across a frozen lake in Swedish Lapland, pause to admire the aurora, then celebrate with a vodka 'in the rocks' at the Icehotel's icebar.
We recommend: Icehotel Break »
4. Join a professional aurora hunter on an all night chase from the city of Tromso in arctic Norway, well-known for its sky-filling sightings.
We recommend: Tromso, Abisko and the Icehotel »
5. Take the chairlfit up to the Abisko Sky Station, Sweden, resisting sleep as some of the world's clearest auroral displays glow overhead.
We recommend: Northern Lights, Abisko and the Icehotel »
Aurora Sky Station, Swedish Lapland
6. A stunning wilderness location, the convenience of fully inclusive tour durations and a host of winter activities await in Finnish Lapland.
We recommend: Nellim Wilderness adventure »
7. Combine Iceland and the Icehotel in Swedish Lapland for a dual destination aurora-chasing extravaganza.
We recommend: Icehotel and Iceland »
8. Enjoy spring on the sparkling east coast of Greenland, dog sledding by day, aurora gazing by night.
We recommend: Greenland Husky Adventure »
9. Head to the Yukon for aurora hunting Canadian-style, complete with dog sledding and snowmobiling through the wilderness.
We recommend: Yukon Winter Dream »
10. Pamper yourself by day in Iceland's Blue Lagoon and spend the nights aurora gazing from the Northern Light Inn's 360° observation lounge.
We recommend: Blue Lagoon Spa Break »
Blue Lagoon, Iceland