During winter, the lure of the frozen north and the magic of the aurora borealis draw many travellers to the far reaches of Norway and even further afield to the Arctic wilderness of the Svalbard archipelago. This exciting six-night holiday combines the vibrant city of Tromso (350km north of the Arctic Circle) with Spitsbergen – largest of the islands in Svalbard, halfway between mainland Norway and the North Pole.
- Experience the beauty and silence of an untouched Arctic wilderness
- Witness the ‘blue twilight’ of a polar night and, with luck, the aurora borealis
- Fly to Svalbard’s Longyearbyen the northernmost town in the world
- Visit Tromso, a hotspot for aurora hunting trips in the surrounding mountains
- Feel like a polar explorer on exhilarating activities available in both locations
The Arctic city of Tromso
Surrounded by fjords and mountains, and linked to the mainland by a graceful whaleback bridge, Tromso hugs the shorelines of two islands, Tromsoya and Kvaloya. The city’s streets are lined with historical buildings and plenty of cafés, bars and galleries. Must-see attractions include the striking cathedral and the Polar Museum with its fascinating exhibits on Roald Amundsen.
Chasing the aurora
During the winter months, Tromso is often blessed with outstanding displays of the aurora borealis. To experience the full magic of this natural phenomenon, we recommend you join an escorted northern lights hunt, well away from the city lights. Your experienced guide will seek the best vantage points for witnessing the aurora. Sometimes the hunt may take you across the border into Finland, so come prepared with your passport!
From Tromso, it’s a 90-minute flight north to Longyearbyen, the largest settlement in the High Arctic archipelago of Svalbard. Based in a comfortable hotel, you’ll have the opportunity to try exciting activities such as snowmobiling and husky sledding, travelling across frozen fjords and exploring huge, blue-ice glaciers. This far north, winter days may be short but you’ll get to experience the surreal blue glow of the polar night, the tantalizing prospect of the northern lights and a deep, spiritual Arctic silence. From around mid-November to the end of January, Svalbard experiences almost total darkness. Visit during this period for a true sense of life in the Arctic.
Itinerary & Accommodation
- Day 1: Depart for Tromso
- Fly to Tromso. Spend three nights at the centrally located Thon Hotel Tromso within easy reach of the city's many cultural attractions. Perhaps take the cable car to the Fjelltop and enjoy amazing views over the city and the surrounding islands.
- Days 2-3: exploring Tromso
- Time at leisure to explore the town or join one of the optional excursions - try an exhilarating snowmobile ride or test your skills at reindeer sledging and learn about Sami culture and traditions.
- Day 4: Tromso - Longyearbyen
- Fly 1½ hours north to Svalbard's largest island Spitsbergen and Longyearbyen your base for the next three nights. Stay at the Radisson Blu Polar Hotel or Spitsbergen Hotel, or alternatively opt for the more rustic accommodation at Basecamp Hotel or Mary-Ann's Polarrigg. Being the northernmost town in the world and with just over 2,000 inhabitants, Longyearbyen is surprisingly lively with excellent shopping and dining experiences. You'll find many opportunities to buy local arts and crafts; gold and silver items being the most popular, often inspired by polar bear, walrus and reindeer - and being a tax free area, goods here are generally better value than on the mainland.
- Days 5-6: at leisure time
- At leisure to explore the town or join an optional excursion such as snowmobiling or husky sledging, which take you out of town into the Arctic wilderness. Here you can appreciate dramatic, unspoilt scenery and the unique Arctic light, which provides many inspiring opportunities for photo stops.
- Day 7: depart Spitsbergen
- Transfer to the airport (not included) for your flight home.
- The weather in Norway can be unpredictable and therefore can cause substantial delays which can result in the need to re-arrange or extend your holiday itinerary. Whilst we and our contacts in Norway will do everything possible to minimise any disruption, it is important that you check the details of your travel insurance and allow for some flexibility in your plans.
Tromso - Kjetil Skogli: Kjetil Skogli is an expert on findi…
Journeying out from the northern hub of Tromso, you will jo…
Tromso - Villmarkssenter: A brief excursion by dog sled.
Enjoy a taste of an iconic method of travel in the Arctic
This is an incredible way to explore the Arctic north
Tromso - Lyngsfjord : This excursion will take you to Camp …
The only remaining Russian mining community in Svalbard, th…
A half-day trip, this excursion heads by snowmobile to the …
Setting off on snowmobile, this tour takes travellers to th…
Prices & Dates
|Per person prices from||Nov to Apr 2017-18|
Twin price is based on 2 adults sharing a twin/double room. Child prices on request
Price includes schedule flights between UK and Tromso via Oslo, internal flight between Tromso and Longyearbyen and return flight to UK via Tromso and Oslo; 3 nights accommodation in Tromso staying at Thon Hotel Tromso and 3 nights in Longyearbyen at the Radisson Blu Polar Hotel on a breakfast basis; airport charges and taxes.
Note alternative hotel options are available in both Tromso and Longyearbyen - please ask our Sales team for more details.
These are not included in the price.
Tromso - the easiest way to transfer from the airport to the city centre is by the airport shuttle bus Flybussen which stops at four locations in the centre. The journey takes approximately 10 minutes and tickets can be purchased onboard. Details on this service can be found on www.flybussen.no.
Longyearbyen - there is an airport shuttle bus serving the schedule flights between Longyearbyen Airport and the hotels in town. On the return the bus stops at most hotels on route to the airport. Please check with the hotel reception for details. The cost is NOK 60 one way per person.
Taxis are also available locally.
Between UK and Tromso and Longyearbyen
Schedule services are operated by Scandinavian Airlines and Norwegian. Full flight details and timings will be provided at time of booking and are subject to availability.
Airfares are based on the lowest available fare - if this is unavailable at the time of booking, a supplement will apply. All holidays and prices are subject to availability.
How to book
So that we may send you a personalised quote and confirmation of availability, please click on the link below and complete our Enquiry form. One of our Travel Specialists will then be in touch to complete your booking or answer any further questions you might have.
We will always offer the best price available at the time of booking and guarantee no surcharges - see our 100% Guarantee for full details.
Speak to a specialist: 1-844-584-0668Book this trip
Our team of Travel Specialists have extensive first-hand knowledge of our destinations and are passionate about travel.