One of the most picturesque regions in Sweden with its sweeping forests, fertile farmland, lazy rivers and verdant valleys, Varmland is a hidden gem. It offers a wealth of stunning scenery and provides the complete summer wilderness adventure for adults and families with exciting activities such as rafting, cycling, hiking and canoeing on this amazing all inclusive experience.
- float down a river on a timber raft - look out for beavers and otters
- spend the night in a teepee, cook dinner over a campfire
- paddle downstream in a canoe and swim in a lake
- hike along famous old trails
- soak up the views of unspoiled forest, lakes, rolling hills, historical sites and charming buildings along the way
- enjoy a scenic bike ride along beautiful stretches of river and lakes
Enjoy the great outdoors and spend some quality time together on this active family wilderness trip. Discover the beautiful region of Varmland with its enchanting River Klaralven, one of the longest waterways in Scandinavia, in a myriad of adventurous ways.
Activites include floating down a river on a raft; hiking through forests; cycling in the lush countryside and leisurely canoeing downstream through picturesque scenery - at all times, keeping your eyes open for the local wildlife perhaps spotting moose and eagles.
Your base and accommodation for the trip is at Fyrbo Guesthouse with a beautiful setting next to the lake. It has seven spacious apartment style rooms, all with small kitchenette and private bathroom - making it perfect for families! Tea and coffee is provided, although guests tend to spend most of their time outside making the most of the long daylight hours. If weather permits, meals are served outside also, guests keen to mingle and share stories about their outdoor pursuits, and children eager to make new friends.
This wonderful 7-night holiday starts and ends in the Norwegian capital Oslo, so why not extend your trip and spend a day or two exploring this fascinating city, making the most of the many attractions and places of interest it offers. There are regular trains from the airport to the central station, then change to a high speed train whisking you across the border in two and a half hours to Karlstad where you are met and transferred to the accommodation. It is also possible to fly directly to Stockholm instead, and then a longer train journey to Karlstad. Call us to discuss your options.
Itinerary & Accommodation
- Day 1: Travel to Karlstad
- Fly to Oslo or Stockholm. On arrival take the train from the airport to the central station, then change and travel onwards by train to Karlstad. Leave the hustle and bustle of the capital city behind as the train heads inland into the peaceful Varmland region. Alight at Karlstad and from here you will be transferred to Fyrbo Guesthouse for a welcome dinner and information on the week ahead.
- Day 2: Trekking in the forest
- Pack your back packs and get ready for a day trekking through the forests of Östanås. You are shown how to use a small GPS system and provided with maps of the area, then set off for a trek of about 10km. If you fancy something a little more challenging or a bit less, ask the guides who can recommend routes for you. Head back to the guesthouse to relax before the evening meal. Meals included: breakfast, lunch pack, dinner.
- Day 3: Rafting on the Klaralven.
- In the morning you will be taken to Munkfors where the rafts are waiting. After instructions you take to the river for a leisurely trip down the Klaralven where you can swim or try to catch some fish along the way. At many places the river can be shallow, so jump in and try the fresh water. It can be cold as it comes from the Norwegian mountains, but its certainly invigorating. The trip duration can vary depending on wind conditions but is generally between 4 to 6 hours. On this 8 km trip the end point takes you to a small island near Ransäter, your home for the night where you sleep in a tepee tent. The guide will meet you at the island and cook dinner over an open fire. Meals included: breakfast, lunch pack, outdoor dinner.
- Day 4: Canoeing from Ransater to Olsater
- After a leisurely breakfast and packing up the gear, this time hop into canoes for a relaxing paddle downstream enjoying the scenery and wildlife as you float by. At the end of the 10km canoe trip at EDeby you will be picked up and for a short transfer back to the guesthouse. Meals included: breakfast, lunch pack, dinner.
- Day 5: Time to relax
- A day to relax by the lake and enjoy the peaceful surroundings, For the more active, have a ride the horses suitable for complete beginners or go mountain biking in the area. The lake is always welcoming for a swim or a spot of fishing. Meals included: breakfast, lunch, dinner.
- Day 6: Day on the pedals
- Enjoy a beautiful cycle ride past unspoiled forest, pretty lakes and rolling hills. You have a choice of a 20 km route around Lake Lersjon or a more challenging 35km route taking you to Butorp. The roundtrip takes you back to the guesthouse to rest before dinner. Meals included: breakfast, lunch pack, dinner.
- Day 7: Hiking on the trails
- Following breakfast, collect your lunch pack and GPS once again before making your way to the Butorp trail which leads you to a surprise location. Continue further on the Pino trail taking you through the forests and eventually heading back towards Fyrbo (11km trek). Meals included: breakfast, lunch pack, dinner.
- Day 8: Depart for Karlstad
- After breakfast say goodbye to your hosts and join the transfer to Karlstad in time to catch the train to Oslo or Stockholm. Meal included: breakfast.
All meals are included with breakfast, a lunchpack and dinner, starting with dinner on day 1 and ending with breakfast on day 8. Some meals are cooked over the open fire whilst out on activities.
Prices & Dates
|Per person prices from|| 24 Jun to 25 Aug 2018|
|Child (6-15 years)||£725|
Please note, due to the nature of the activities we do not recommend this tour for children under 6 years old.
Price includes: return flights from London Gatwick to Oslo and all airport charges and taxes; 7 nights activity package (including all meals) as stated on the itinerary; return transfers between Karlstad and Östanås, return train tickets from Oslo Airport to Karlstad, via Oslo Central staion.
Price excludes: optional activities, personal expenses.
Flight prices are based on the lowest available fare – if this is unavailable at the time of booking, a supplement will apply. All holidays and prices are subject to availability.
Flights operate between London Gatwick and Oslo Airport with Norwegian and from London Heathrow to Oslo with Scandinavian Airlines. We recommend the morning flight in order for a better choice of train times.
Train Times - depending on the day and flight arrival, train times can vary. We will endeavour to book the most convenient train times.
How to book
So that we may send you a personalised quote and confirmation of availability, please click on the link below and complete our Enquiry form. One of our Travel Specialists will then be in touch to complete your booking or answer any further questions you might have.
We will always offer the best price available at the time of booking and guarantee no surcharges - see our 100% Guarantee for full details.
Speak to a specialist: 1-844-584-0668Book this trip
Our team of Travel Specialists have extensive first-hand knowledge of our destinations and are passionate about travel.